God the Father
I believe in God, the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth.
Watch the video and ponder the questions.
Share your responses with friends or the group.
Questions to Ponder
What did you hear, read, see, in the stimulus material?
What excited you?
What confirmed something for you?
What questions are raised for you?
Think about the image that comes to mind when you hear the name ‘God’. How would you briefly describe God?
What are some of the titles that are used to identify God?
What do they convey about the nature of God?
Do they reflect the loving provident Creator God?
How have you come to know God?
In what ways do you reverence God’s creation?
Points to consider:
- Faith is humankind’s response to God’s initiative.
- By nature human beings are religious beings with a desire to be in relationship with God.
- The Creed speaks of God and of our relationship to God.
- As Christians we are called to live fully our baptismal promises.
- God is one.
- God is our loving creator who made the world out of nothing.
- We are called to steward and make a positive use of all that has been given us through creation.
- God created the material and spiritual world.
- “Father” is an old and honoured title that many religions use for God.
- Jesus’ use of the term ‘Abba’ indicates an intimate, loving relationship with God.
- There is no creature, no power, no force, more powerful than God who is ‘Almighty’.
- God’s parental tenderness can also be expressed by the image of motherhood (CCC 239).
- God’s plan for all creation is to live in loving union with the Creator.
- For those with faith, creation itself gives witness to God’s love and wisdom.