Gathering for Support, Sharing and Prayer
At the recent Catechist Forum Day, we shared our faith and our knowledge of being Catechists.
As part of the day we explored how in practical ways we can Care for Our Common Home. The responses are listed below.
Technology is a big part of our daily lives. Many wonderful sites exist in contemporary society. Gathered thoughts of how to use technology in ministry and good sites, apps to help us spread The Word are collated below.
We must regain the conviction that we need from one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it.
We Commit to:
Care for our Common Home by..
- Provide recycling & donation collection points at Church
- DO something – recreate
- Remember it is precious
- Think before buying – do I need this?
- Donate foods from supermarkets that would otherwise be thrown away & could feed others in the world
- Pick it up!
- Look after what you already have – property & resources – reduce spending
- Not taking more that you need
- Quotes around the Church – “God destined the earth and all it contains for all peoples so that all created things would be shared fairly by all”
- Discourage the use of non-biodegradable plates, cups and cutlery in parish events
- Don’t waste your food – others are starving
- Get what you need rather than what you want
- We have only one Earth!
- We need to save it – we need to go back to tradition – support local produce, local clothing, local building materials, no plastic
- Educate people who are raping and pillage the environment & sea by taking everything from it without worrying about the future
- Share God’s message of hope
- Make sure sites are robust and from authoritative sources – just because it says Catholic doesn’t make it true
- Best to use a website at the end of a session
- Be careful that “technology” does not do all the thinking for your group
- Word.op.org Domincan site that provides a reflection on the daily readings.
- Catholic on line Provides a variety of resources and articles concerning daily Catholic life
- Catholic Enquiry NZ Information about the beliefs and practices of the Catholic Church
- Catholicmom.com Children and family friendly faith formation ideas.
- Team RCIA Advice, guidance and formation for RCIA teams
- Around One Altar Resources for teaching children about Eucharist
- NewAdvent.org US site with links to a varity of Catholic resources
- Sacredhearthouston.org – penance/Eucharist activities
- Loyola Press Not just about book orders also provides many great Catechetical Materials
- Word on fire Bishop Robert Barron’s site full of useful resources
- Unites States Bishops not a pretty site but useful – variety of material very accessible
- www.prayingeachday.org robust site – prayers, reflections and activities for young people
Good for Young People
A mix of online and other resources people have found useful in their ministry with teens.
- Ascension presents Fr Mike Schmitz videos are particularly powerful
- Catholic Minute short teaching videos regarding a variety of topics
- Life Teen International Youth friendly resources on Catholic life
- New Catholic Generation Youtube channel with mix of formation and fun videos with a Catholic basis
- Outside da Box Video resources for ministry
- That Catholic Couple Upbeat videos on a range of topics with a Catholic emphasis.
- Theology of the Body for Teens by Jason Evert
- Altaration Study program for teens on Eucharist
- Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC)
- Bookworm games with a purpose (and lots of fun)
- Catholic Mom
- The Summit (Melbourne) – published every 3 months
- Note: closing soon
- Prayer as you go Daily prayer based on Scripture (also available as an app)
- Sacred space A reflection on the Daily Scripture (also available as an app)
- Pay G – Daily Reading
- The Pope App
- Fr Rocky
- Truth & Life Bible app
- Marians of the Immaculate Conception
- Pope Francis
- Daily surprises
- Youcat – Docat (app version of Youcat)
- Divine Mercy app
- Mary app