What is Pentecost? Pentecost is a very special event in the Church’s story. It is when the disciples and other Christians received the Holy Spirit.
Pentecost is the great celebration of the coming of the Holy Spirit who helps us in many ways. The Holy Spirit comforts us, teaches us, helps us grow in our relationship with God and gives us strength to get rid of the bad habits in our lives. The Holy Spirit helps us know what the right thing to do is.
Before the coming of the Holy Spirit the followers of Christ were afraid. So afraid that they were gathered together at the time of Pentecost because they were worried that those who were not followers of Jesus would pick on them. After the coming of the Holy Spirit they found courage to go out and tell the Good News to strangers.
Match that number
Read the Bible passages indicated and then do the maths equations as indicated. You should arrive at the correct final number, which is shown at the end. Have fun!
Your starting number is 100.
1. How many days went by between the evening of the “first day of the week” and the next time Jesus appeared to His disciples? (John 20:26) Add this number to your starting number.
2. How many fish did the disciples catch when Jesus told them where to cast their nets? (John 21:11). Add this number to your total so far.
3. How many times did Jesus ask Peter, “Do you love me?” (John 21:15-17.) Divide your total so far by this number.
4. For how many days after the Resurrection did Jesus appear to His apostles? (Acts 1:13) Subtract this number from your total so far.
5. How many men in white robes stood by the apostles as Jesus ascended to heaven? (Acts 1:10) Multiply your total so far by this number.
6. How many apostles were gathered in Jerusalem after Jesus ascended to His Father? (Acts 1:3) Subtract this number from your total so far.
7. How many people were suggested to replace Judas as one of the apostles? (Acts 1:23). Multiply your total so far by this number.
8. How many people, were baptised at Pentecost? (Acts 2: 41.) Add this number to your total so far. You’re done!
Your final number should be 3166. Did you match that number?
Learn More About Pentecost
The video above tells the story of Pentecost. The one below is also presents the background to Pentecost and why it so important to celebrate and remember this significant day.
Did you Know?
The Jewish religion also celebrates Pentecost, although not for the same reason as Christians. The celebration by Jewish faith of Pentecost is to observe God giving the Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai 50 days after the Exodus. The Pentecost in Jewish tradition takes place 50 days after Passover.