“In every diocese and to the extent that pastoral circumstances suggest it, a pastoral council is to be constituted which under the authority of the bishop investigates, considers, and proposes practical conclusions about those things which pertain to pastoral works in the diocese.”
Canon 511, Code of Canon Law, 1983
- The Diocesan Pastoral Council is the Bishop’s Pastoral Council where elected and appointed members represent all sectors of the diocese in offering support to the bishop’s pastoral ministry.
Each of six regions elects a man and a woman to serve a maximum of two terms (six years).
The religious of the diocese have a man and a woman representatives.
The Council of Priests has one representative.
The young people have two representatives.
Maori are represented by two members; one from Te Tai Tokerau and the other from Tamaki Makaurau.
Five representatives are nominated by ethnic chaplains to serve the same terms as the elected regional members.
The DPC meets quarterly over a weekend with the Bishop. The meeting include formation sessions, liturgy, reports from various regions and communities as well as consultation by the bishop with councilors.
Diocesan Pastoral Council Members (Regional & Religious Reps)
- Most Rev Patrick Dunn (President)
- Mr Robb Donze (Chair)
- Mr Frederick Quadros (Central)
- Dori Handi (City)
- Mr Allan Danbrook (Eastern)
- Mr Garth Clarke (North Shore)
- Bryan Johnson (South Auckland)
- Tins Shore (Sth Auckland Urban)
- Mr Alex Salesa (Western)
- Margaret O’Sullivan (Western)
Religious Orders Reps: Rev Valerian D’Souza & Sr Leona Garchow
Ex Officio Rep: Rev Peter Tipene
Youth Rep: Gino Pimentel
Maori & Ethnic Appointees:
- Eva Morunga (Maori – Tamaki Makaurau)
- Joe Clarke (Maori – Te Tai Tokerau)
- Dominique Au (Chinese Community)
- Gene Lopez (Filipino Community)
- Scholastica Park (Korean Community)
- Mata’uiletaua Faalenu’u Sili (Samoan Community)
- Ane Enosi (Tongan Community)