For Your Newsletters
Let us open our eyes and see the misery of the world, the wounds of our brothers and sisters who are denied their dignity, and let us recognize that we are compelled to heed their cry for help! May we reach out to them and support them so they can feel the warmth of our presence, our friendship, and our fraternity! MV 15
Who do you know who is suffering from unemployment, hunger, homelessness? What could you do to support them?
Great Oneliners for Christmas
- These quotes from Pope Francis remind us of the importance of the Christmas season.
- The time has come for new messengers of Christ, ever more generous, more joyful and more holy
- Christians and Muslims are brothers and sisters, and we must act as such.
- Christmas is joy, religious joy, an inner joy of light and peace.
- A little bit of mercy makes the world less cold and more just.
- Although the life of a person is in a land full of thorns and weeds, there is always a space in which the good seed can grow. You have to trust God.
- Life is a journey. When we stop, things don’t go right.
- God never gives someone a gift they are not capable of receiving. If he gives us the gift of Christmas, it is because we all have the ability to understand and receive it.
Prayer for Mission
Gracious and merciful God,
we pray that through the Holy Spirit
we may all hear your call to mission
and seek a deeper relationship with your Son, Jesus.
that our plan “Fit For Mission” will renew our diocese,
inspiring all Catholics to “go forth and make disciples of all nations” and transform society through the power of the Gospel.
for all members of the Church,
that we heed the words of Christ
—“do not be afraid”—
and strengthened by the Holy Spirit’s gift of courage,
give witness to the Gospel and share our faith with others.
that we may become
like the father of the prodigal son
—filled with compassion for our missing brothers and sisters—
and run to embrace them upon their return.
that all people
yearning to know Christ and the Church
may encounter him through the faithful
who witness to his love in their lives.
that we may learn to use modern means of communication
to spread the good news, to reach out
and touch those who tweet and twitter and email and text.
We ask that you inspire us to embrace the new media in your name.
Loving God, our Creator,
strengthen us to become witnesses
to the saving grace of your Son,
Jesus, our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, forever and ever.
Hymns with a Mission Theme
- We are called – David Haas (GIA)
- Act justly – Trisha Watts/Monica O’Brien
- All are welcome (Marty Haugen) GIA
- Be not afraid (Bob Dufford) (New Dawn Music)
- Bring Forth the Kingdom (Marty Haugen) (GIA)
- City of God – Dan Schulte
- Christ be our Light (Bernadette Farrell) OCP
- Companions on the Journey – Carey Landry
- God has Chosen Me – Bernadette Farrell
- Go Now You are Sent Forth – Leo Watt
- God gives his people strength – Winter/McCrimmon
- Go Tell everyone – Richards/Alan Dale
- Go the Mass is ended – Pereira/McCrimmon
- Hear what our God asks of us – Chris Skinner
- Here I am Lord – Dan Schutte
- Prayer of St Francis – Sebastian Temple OCP
- Send Down the Fire (Marty Haugen) GIA
- Servant Song – Richard Gillard COP
- Song of the Body of Christ (David Haas) (GIA)
- The Summons – John Bell & Grahame Maule (Wild Goose)
- They’ll know we are Christians – Peter Scholles (FEI)
- We are the Church – Christopher Walker (OCP)
- Who will Speak? (Marty Haugen) (GIA)
- You are mine (David Haas) GIA
- The Lord hears the cry of the poor John Foley SJ
- Song of Faith – Maria Guzzo (NZ)
- Joyful, Joyful – James Lyons (NZ) Tune Ode to Joy
- Bring Forth the Kingdom – Marty Haugen GIA
Joyful is the Gospel
(Sung to the tune of Ode to Joy)
Joyful, joyful is the Gospel, bringing news of happiness,
God in time is born among us, Jesus Christ the Word made flesh
Son of God he gifts the Spirit, freeing hearts held down by fear
Opening doors to new horizons, speaking love for all to hear.
See the love of God around us in the beauty of each day
Let our hearts be filled with gladness, giving thanks along the way
Winter times of pain and sorrow melt in the glow of love’s clear light
Celebrate our gratefulness with caring hands and faces bright.
Every life is rich with blessings, everyone has gifts to share
Peace and justice are the fruits of giving self in generous care
Goodness always tends to grow, reaching across each boundary
Mercy gives the strongest witness crowning our humanity.
Joyful, joyful is the Gospel, gifting us with life anew
Offering all a new beginning, young and old, and strangers too.
Live this message, bring it to others, Smile the joy our faith proclaims,
Hand in hand walk on together, Christian both in deed and Name
James Lyons Ode to The Joy of the Gospel, Welcome March 2014