…who was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary…
Mary – Mother of God
Watch this short video and ponder the questions.
Share your responses with friends or the group.
You might like to explore the Features of Good Marian Theology.
Questions to Ponder
- What did you hear, read, see, in the stimulus material?
- What excited you?
- What confirmed something for you?
- What questions are raised for you?
- In calling Mary ‘Mother of God’ what are we saying about Jesus?
- How are you like Mary? In what way does Mary guide and inspire you in your relationship with the Son?
- Have you ever visited a Marian shrine such as Fatima? If so what was your experience?
- Do you have a favourite picture of Mary? What does the picture tell you about Mary? What does this aspect of Mary tell you about Jesus?
Points to consider:
- The Incarnation – at the appointed time, Jesus Christ, the Word of God became fully human without losing his divine nature.
- God becomes human.
- In the person of Jesus Christ, God is definitively and fully revealed.
- Jesus is fully human and fully God.
- In Jesus the human and the divine are in perfect unity therefore Jesus is the perfect mediator between God and humanity.
- God wants us to become the image of God we were created to be.
- Jesus Christ was born of a virgin as a sign of Christ’s divine nature.
- Jesus’ birth is a result of God’s initiative.
- Everything we say about Mary reveals Christ.
- Mary, is all about her Son, her Lord, her God.
- Her undivided discipleship is both a challenge and an encouragement to all of us, her spiritual children.
- Mary accepted Jesus into her life totally, completely accepting God’s grace.
- Mary holds a unique place in salvation as Mother of God.